Hospital Diaries: Life in the General Ward
It was my first time ever being hospitalized. I was assigned to a four-person room, specifically designated for "independent" patients who could take care of their own basic needs.
My roommates were mostly men in their 50s to 70s. If it had been a long-term stay, I would have broken the ice and tried to make friends, but I was scheduled to be discharged in less than a week. Plus, I didn't know their medical situations. Everyone kept their privacy curtains tightly shut, so the only sounds were occasional snippets of conversation with the nurses.
Even so, those brief overheard conversations painted a picture of what each person was going through.
- Roommate #1: A middle-aged man fighting cancer
He was constantly complaining about severe constipation, lamenting that even laxatives didn't work and had caused him hemorrhoids. He was a bit lively and vocal, often grumbling about how much the blood draw needles hurt. - Roommate #2: An elderly diabetic man transferred from a nursing home
He didn't seem to have any family visiting. The real challenge was—to put it bluntly—his silent but incredibly deadly flatulence. It was so overwhelming that I couldn't bear the smell, and I actually had to ask my family to bring a portable handheld fan from home just to survive. - Roommate #3: A mysterious patient who left after three days
He seemed anxious to get discharged quickly because his child had upcoming school entrance exams. However, his prescribed medication didn't seem to agree with him; he kept complaining of feeling unwell and having no appetite, which ended up delaying his release. - Roommate #4: The elderly man who took his place
He was admitted for some internal organ issues. He frequently muttered to himself, saying things like, "I'm finished..." or "I just want to die." It was heartbreaking to listen to.
All these different lives playing out just on the other side of a curtain. It made me pause and wonder: "How did I look to the rest of them?"
Diabetes Education
During my stay, I had daily "diabetes education" sessions, rotating between my doctor, nurses, dietitians, and physical therapists.
- How diabetes actually works in the body
- The "SHIMEJI" and "ENOKI" acronyms (classic Japanese mnemonics for diabetic complications) and how to handle sick days
- The difference between "long-acting" (basal) and "rapid-acting" (bolus) insulin
- How carbs, proteins, and fats impact your body
They thoroughly drilled me on these essentials—vital knowledge I'll need for managing my condition moving forward.
Heading Home
Thanks to the comprehensive diabetes training, the anxiety that had consumed me at first began to fade, and I was finally able to welcome discharge day with a calm mind.
My daughter came to pick me up. We walked home together, wheeling our bicycles and chatting about everything and nothing. It was in that simple, ordinary moment that I realized I was finally getting my life back.
When my hospital stay finally ended and I was discharged, I felt an overwhelming sense of relief. Taking in that first breath of fresh air outside, I thought, "I'm finally back in the real world!" At first, when they suspected all sorts of terrifying illnesses, my mind went completely blank. But after undergoing extensive testing and pinpointing the exact cause, I felt empowered to make a positive, proactive start on my new lifestyle. Keeping everything I learned in mind, and holding onto the joy of that walk home with my daughter, I’m ready to take it one step at a time and work in harmony with my body.
【Summary】
- Despite a tense scare with elevated tumor markers and immune system indicators, follow-up scans showed zero abnormalities, bringing immense relief.
- As the severe internal inflammation triggered by the rapid spike in my blood sugar subsided, all of my lab values naturally stabilized.
📊 Discharge Test Results & Key Takeaways
- Though I had a major scare when my tumor markers, CEA (6.5) and CA19-9 (45), flagged potential pancreatic cancer, my contrast-enhanced CT scans showed absolutely no tumors or abnormal blood flow.
- My IgG4 levels (140+) raised suspicions of autoimmune pancreatitis. However, since the imaging showed none of the swelling typical of the pancreas, both scary possibilities were ruled out, leaving me with a clean bill of health and a simple "follow-up/no issues" diagnosis.
- It turns out this alarming spike in numbers was just a temporary disruption triggered by severe hyperglycemia and intense internal inflammation. As my treatment progressed, the numbers naturally settled back to normal.
• Portion Sizes: The food portions and nutritional data featured in this blog are based on standard Japanese serving sizes, which may be smaller than typical Western servings.
• Net Carb Calculation: Net Carbs = Total Carbs - Dietary Fiber.
🛍️ Looking for useful tools or low-carb support options on Amazon?
Check Out Useful Goods on Amazon*Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, this blog earns from qualifying purchases.
*Medical Disclaimer: The content on this blog represents the author's personal records for informational purposes only. Always consult with your doctor.
No comments:
Post a Comment