7/05/2026

My ICU Nightmare: Surviving Fulminant Type 1 Diabetes and Ketoacidosis

📌 Related Support Tools: Discover useful goods & low-carb management options on Amazon (Affiliate Link)

I still remember the sheer panic that washed over me when the first blood test results came back after I was rushed to the ER. Even the doctors were stunned by the off-the-charts numbers. Let’s take a look at the terrifying, life-threatening data from the day I was admitted.

[The Shocking Blood Sugar Levels on Admission Day]

  • When I was first brought in, my blood glucose level was at a mind-boggling 828 mg/dL.
  • This was astronomical compared to the normal range of 70–109 mg/dL. It was a miracle I hadn't completely slipped into a coma.
  • On top of that, my triglycerides—which basically measure how thick and sluggish your blood is—were sitting at a terrifying 1146 mg/dL. *Note: My LDL and triglyceride levels had always been on the higher side, and I had been taking Atorvastatin 10mg for about three years.

[The Terrifying Numbers: When My Muscles Began to Fail]

  • My CPK levels, which skyrocket when there is massive muscle breakdown, had shot up to a staggering 11806 U/L.
  • Because of the sheer amount of waste from the damaged muscle fibers, my kidneys were struggling to cope. My blood urea nitrogen (BUN) rose to 63 mg/dL and creatinine hit 2.03 mg/dL—my kidneys were practically screaming for help.
  • To make matters worse, my CA19-9 level (an indicator of severe pancreatic inflammation) surged to 401.0 U/mL. It felt like multiple massive fires were raging inside my body all at the same time.

[Surviving the ICU: My Memories of Those Critical Days]

  • Fading consciousness in the ambulance: I have a hazy memory of being loaded onto the stretcher and put into the ambulance, but after that, everything goes completely blank. My wife later told me that my speech was so slurred that the paramedics asked her, "Does your husband always talk like this?"
  • Waking up to a web of wires: When I finally opened my eyes, I was in a hospital bed. I only found out later that it was the ICU. My arms were covered in a dizzying array of IV lines and blood monitors.
  • Delusional work anxiety: Apparently, in my confused state, I kept babbling to the nurses about needing to get to my job because I'm a designer, only to be gently told to calm down.
  • Hallucinations of a computer screen: There was a small, somewhat bright window in the room. Every time I closed my eyes, that square shape would expand and transform into a computer monitor, showing a desktop screen. I kept looping between opening my eyes to see the hospital room and closing them to see this hallucination.
  • Vision issues caused by high blood sugar: Once my consciousness returned, I tried putting on my glasses, but everything was incredibly blurry. An ophthalmologist examined my eyes but found nothing physically wrong. For a while after that, my ability to see far-off objects would fluctuate constantly depending on my blood sugar levels.
  • The harsh reality of the ICU: The patient next to me was coughing constantly and needed regular phlegm suctioning. I also remember hearing hospital staff discussing funeral arrangements nearby on my second day, realizing someone had passed away. It was a sobering environment.
  • Transfer to the general ward on Day 3: After about three days, my blood work stabilized enough for me to be moved out of the ICU and into a general ward.
  • To be continued...

Upcoming Posts:
Part 3: My Diabetes Journey: Fulminant Type 1 Diabetes (Hospitalization Part 2: General Ward)
Part 4: My Diabetes Journey: Fulminant Type 1 Diabetes (Life After Discharge)

⚠️ Disclaimer & Important Notice
The blood sugar data and charts shared in this article are based solely on my personal experience and records. They are not intended to recommend or guarantee any specific medical treatment, dietary regimen, or diagnosis. Blood sugar fluctuations and bodily responses vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently undergoing medical treatment or have dietary restrictions, please consult with your primary care physician or a registered dietitian before making any changes. This blog assumes no responsibility for any actions taken based on the information provided herein.
ℹ️ Note for International Readers:
Portion Sizes: The food portions and nutritional data featured in this blog are based on standard Japanese serving sizes, which may be smaller than typical Western servings.
Net Carb Calculation: Net Carbs = Total Carbs - Dietary Fiber.

🛍️ Looking for useful tools or low-carb support options on Amazon?

Check Out Useful Goods on Amazon

*Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, this blog earns from qualifying purchases.

*Medical Disclaimer: The content on this blog represents the author's personal records for informational purposes only. Always consult with your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment