8/13/2026

[EN] I Forgot My Insulin: My Terrifying Blood Sugar Rollercoaster to 476 mg/dL

I completely forgot to take my 12 units of Humalog (rapid-acting insulin) at lunchtime. I learned the hard way just how directly a meal hits your numbers without insulin to back it up—it really drove home how crucial those doses are. Although I scrambled to fix it in the evening, it triggered a wild, rollercoaster ride of blood sugar spikes and crashes that kept me on edge all night.

【Key Takeaways】

  • Forgetting my pre-lunch 12 units of insulin caused my blood sugar to spike violently right after eating.
  • Lunch consisted of a bowl of rice, a piece of yellowtail teriyaki, kimchi natto, and a piece of broccoli—so the rice was the main carb culprit.
  • My blood sugar skyrocketed off the charts, hitting a jaw-dropping peak of 476 mg/dL.
  • Eating without insulin caused my levels to surge by a whopping +325 mg/dL from my baseline.
  • I tried to correct the spike with a correction dose in the evening, but that only triggered a steep crash, making for a chaotic night.

[The Data: What Happens When You Forget Your Pre-Meal Insulin]

  • Just before 1:00 PM, my levels were sitting beautifully stable around 130 mg/dL. But the second I started eating, the graph shot up in an almost vertical, terrifying spike.
  • By 4:00 PM, I hit an insanely high peak of MAX 476 mg/dL, a scary level that made me physically feel the danger.
  • Shocked by the massive number at around 4:30 PM, I realized I had to act fast and took a 2-unit correction dose of Humalog to get back on track.
  • Once the correction dose kicked in after 6:00 PM, my levels pulled a complete U-turn and started plummeting.
⚠️ Disclaimer
The blood sugar data and charts shared in this post are purely personal records and experiences. They do not constitute, recommend, or guarantee any specific medical treatment, dietary therapy, or diagnosis. Blood sugar fluctuations and bodily responses vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently undergoing medical treatment or dietary restrictions, please consult your doctor or a registered dietitian. The author of this blog assumes no responsibility for any actions taken based on this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment