8/13/2026

[EN] I Forgot My Insulin Before Lunch: The Terrifying Blood Sugar Roller Coaster That Followed

I completely forgot to take my 12 units of fast-acting Humalog insulin before lunch. It was a stark, hands-on reminder of just how critical insulin is and how directly a meal impacts my numbers without it. Though I scrambled to correct it in the late afternoon, it set off a wild, roller-coaster ride of blood sugar swings that lasted well into the night.

【Summary】

  • Forgetting my 12 units of pre-lunch insulin triggered a massive post-meal blood sugar spike.
  • My lunch consisted of a bowl of rice, a piece of yellowtail teriyaki, kimchi natto, and broccoli—meaning the rice was the main source of carbs.
  • My blood sugar soared off the charts, peaking at a staggering 476 mg/dL.
  • Eating without insulin caused my levels to skyrocket by +325 mg/dL from my baseline.
  • After noticing the spike, I took a correction dose in the late afternoon, which unfortunately sent my numbers crashing down in the evening.

[The Data: Missing My Pre-Lunch Insulin]

  • Just before 1:00 PM, I was sitting very stable at around 130 mg/dL. However, the moment I started eating, the graph shot up in an almost vertical line.
  • By 4:00 PM, my levels peaked at an alarmingly high 476 mg/dL—a range where you really start to feel the physical toll.
  • Shocked by the numbers at around 4:30 PM and knowing I had to act, I took a 2-unit correction dose of Humalog to get things back on track.
  • Once the correction dose kicked in after 6:00 PM, my numbers took a sharp U-turn and started plummeting.
⚠️ Disclaimer
The blood sugar data and graphs shared in this post are personal records and reflections. They are not intended to recommend or guarantee any medical treatment, diet, or diagnosis. Blood sugar responses vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently undergoing medical treatment or dietary restrictions, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian. This blog assumes no responsibility for any actions taken based on this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment