8/13/2026

[EN] Type 1 Diabetes & Blood Sugar Control: My Real-Life Glucose Diary

Here is what happened to my blood sugar when I had a Chateraise soda popsicle for my afternoon snack. Since water-based ice pops contain zero fat or protein, the impact is crystal clear on the graph.

And just to be clear, I'm not eating Chateraise treats constantly because they pay me—there's just a shop right around the corner, and they're incredibly cheap and delicious! I promise I'm not a paid sponsor... (haha).

The TL;DR

  • My blood sugar started spiking almost the second I finished the popsicle.
  • With zero fat or protein to slow things down, the carbs were absorbed directly and rapidly.
  • It seemed to stabilize briefly, but then spiked again. I suspect this second wave was a mix of my lunchtime insulin wearing off and a sneaky reaction to coffee.

Blood Sugar Chart After Eating a Soda Popsicle

  • With 0.0g of fat and protein, and 13.4g of carbs per bar, the nature of this water-based ice pop sent my blood sugar on a direct upward trajectory.
  • The sugar and high-fructose corn syrup in the ingredients have a high Glycemic Index (GI), which likely triggered the rapid spike shown in the yellow highlighted area starting at 14:20.
  • From a low of 97 mg/dL at 14:20, it shot up to around 130 mg/dL in just about 50 minutes (the highlighted window).
  • This created a massive spike, peaking at +54 mg/dL overall. The subsequent bump was likely due to a snack of almonds and dried baby sardines with my coffee, combined with my lunchtime insulin wearing off (just my guess).
  • Even though it was only a tiny 51 kcal, the lack of a fat "cushion" allowed my blood sugar to skyrocket like this.
⚠️ Disclaimer & Medical Note
The blood sugar data and charts shared in this post are purely personal records and observations. They do not constitute, nor should they be taken as, medical advice, dietary recommendations, or diagnosis. Blood sugar responses vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently managing a medical condition or are on a restricted diet, please consult your doctor or a registered dietitian before making any changes. This blog assumes no responsibility or liability for any actions taken based on the information provided here.

No comments:

Post a Comment