Looking back at my journey since being diagnosed with diabetes, it has definitely been a rollercoaster of challenging symptoms and bodily changes. However, completely revamping my lifestyle has also brought some incredibly positive shifts. I have put together my personal insights and medical perspectives on how my body has adapted, and I hope this helps anyone walking a similar path.
【At a Glance】
- Hospitalization and strict carb-cutting led to a weight loss of about 11 lbs (5 kg), which I have successfully managed to keep off.
- Noticing a drop in my vision and aging eyes, I upgraded to a stronger prescription of progressive glasses five months after being discharged.
- Changes in my gut health and autonomic nervous system left me prone to constipation, reducing my regular bowel movements.
- Due to aging and nutritional shifts, I started noticing thinner hair and more grays than before.
- On the plus side, stabilizing my blood sugar has made me wake up feeling incredibly refreshed.
- Cutting back on snacks and alcohol helped me transition to a much healthier, cleaner diet.
[Weight Trends and Physical Changes]
- As you can see in the graph, my weight was hovering around 134 lbs (61 kg) in December, but dropped sharply to about 121 lbs (55 kg) by February post-hospitalization—a loss of roughly 11 lbs (5 kg).
- By sticking to a low-carb lifestyle after leaving the hospital, I have managed to maintain my ideal weight between 121 to 125 lbs (55–56 kg).
- 【Medical Perspective】Rapid weight loss is often caused by muscle and fat breakdown due to insulin deficiency, combined with the impact of hospitalization. However, maintaining a low-carb diet post-discharge has prevented a rebound and has had a highly positive effect on blood sugar control.
[Vision Changes, Eye Strain, and New Glasses]
- About five months after discharge, my vision shifted significantly, requiring my left lens prescription to jump from -6.5 to -8.0.
- Coupled with turning 50 and the natural onset of presbyopia (aging eyes), reading up close became much harder, leading me to get progressive (intermediate-to-near) glasses.
- 【Medical Perspective】A rapid drop in blood sugar from a chronically high state can cause osmotic changes in the lens of the eye, leading to temporary refractive errors (blurry vision). Combined with age-related presbyopia, this can cause a sudden, noticeable shift in how well you see.
[Digestion and Gut Health Changes]
- My daily bowel movements virtually vanished, and I struggled with constipation, going only once every 2 to 3 days.
- I found myself straining much more, and the constipation brought along an unpleasant odor with gas that started to bother me.
- 【Medical Perspective】Diabetic neuropathy (affecting the autonomic nervous system) or a sudden decrease in fiber, water, and healthy fat intake due to dietary changes can slow down gut motility, leading to constipation and changes in gas odor.
[Hair Quality and Texture Changes]
- I have noticed that my hair has gotten thinner, and I am seeing way more gray hairs than before.
- While aging definitely plays a part, this was still one of the most noticeable bodily changes I experienced.
- 【Medical Perspective】Beyond natural aging, reduced peripheral blood circulation from high blood sugar, or temporary nutritional imbalances during the acute phase of dietary changes, can negatively affect the health of your scalp and hair follicles.
[The Silver Lining: Positive Changes I’ve Noticed]
- I used to wake up feeling groggy and sluggish, but now, I open my eyes feeling completely refreshed and ready to take on the day.
- 【Medical Perspective】By curbing high blood sugar spikes and stabilizing overnight glucose fluctuations, sleep quality improves significantly, effectively relieving morning fatigue.
- Cutting back on snacks and keeping alcohol to a minimum allowed me to completely overhaul and upgrade my eating habits.
- 【Medical Perspective】A mindful, disciplined diet not only keeps blood glucose in check, but also reduces strain on internal organs and boosts overall systemic health.
⚠️ Important Disclaimer
The blood sugar data and graphs shared in this post are purely personal records and reflections. They are not intended to recommend or guarantee any specific medical treatment, dietary therapy, or diagnosis. Blood sugar responses and bodily changes vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently undergoing treatment or are on a restricted diet, please consult your primary physician or a registered dietitian before making changes. This blog assumes no responsibility for any actions taken based on the information provided here.
The blood sugar data and graphs shared in this post are purely personal records and reflections. They are not intended to recommend or guarantee any specific medical treatment, dietary therapy, or diagnosis. Blood sugar responses and bodily changes vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently undergoing treatment or are on a restricted diet, please consult your primary physician or a registered dietitian before making changes. This blog assumes no responsibility for any actions taken based on the information provided here.

No comments:
Post a Comment