Looking back at my journey since being diagnosed with diabetes, I've experienced some tough symptoms and physical changes. However, re-evaluating my lifestyle has also brought about some incredibly positive transformations. I’ve compiled my personal insights along with some medical perspectives, and I hope this helps anyone going through a similar journey.
【Summary】
- Hospitalization and dietary changes led to a weight loss of about 5kg, which I have successfully maintained.
- Noticing a drop in my vision and progressing aging eyes, I upgraded to a stronger pair of progressive glasses five months after being discharged.
- Due to shifts in my gut environment and autonomic nervous system, I started dealing with mild constipation and less frequent bowel movements.
- Between aging and nutritional shifts, I've noticed thinner hair and more grays.
- With stabilized blood sugar, my morning fatigue is gone and I now wake up feeling completely refreshed.
- I successfully shifted to a healthier diet, cutting back on snacks and alcohol.
[Weight Trends & Physical Changes]
- As shown in the graph, my weight plummeted from around 61 kg in December to nearly 55 kg in February after my hospital stay—a sudden drop of about 5 kg.
- By sticking to a low-carb diet post-discharge, I've managed to maintain a healthy weight in the 55–56 kg range.
- 【Medical Perspective】 The rapid weight loss was likely due to muscle and fat breakdown from impaired insulin action, alongside the effects of hospitalization. However, the subsequent low-carb lifestyle has prevented a rebound and positively impacted my overall blood glucose control.
[Vision Changes & Upgrading My Glasses]
- About five months after leaving the hospital, I noticed my vision shifting and had to change my left lens prescription from -6.5 to -8.0.
- Combined with turning 50, reading up close became much harder, so I ended up getting progressive glasses designed for intermediate and near vision.
- 【Medical Perspective】 A rapid improvement in blood sugar from a highly elevated state can cause temporary refractive errors (blurry vision) due to osmotic changes in the eye's lens. This, compounded with age-related presbyopia, likely resulted in a noticeable shift in eyesight.
[Bowel Movements & Gut Health Changes]
- I lost the regular, daily urge to go, and it shifted to constipation every 2 to 3 days.
- I found myself straining more in the bathroom, and the constipation unfortunately came with noticeably smellier gas.
- 【Medical Perspective】 Autonomic neuropathy caused by diabetes, along with a drop in dietary fiber, water, and healthy fat intake due to dietary restrictions, can slow down bowel motility. This often leads to constipation and increased gas odor.
[Changes in Hair Texture and Thinning]
- I’ve noticed my hair getting thinner and graying much faster than before.
- While age is certainly a factor, it was definitely one of the most prominent physical changes I experienced.
- 【Medical Perspective】 Alongside natural aging, reduced peripheral blood flow due to high blood sugar, combined with sudden nutritional shifts during the acute phase of treatment, may have impacted scalp health and hair quality.
[The Silver Lining: Positive Health Improvements Post-Diagnosis]
- I used to wake up feeling groggy and sluggish, but now I consistently wake up feeling refreshed and clear-headed.
- 【Medical Perspective】 Minimizing spikes and nocturnal fluctuations in blood glucose level improves overall sleep quality, which directly resolves morning fatigue and brain fog.
- I’ve managed to completely overhaul my diet, significantly cutting back on snacking and alcohol.
- 【Medical Perspective】 A well-regulated diet not only optimizes glycemic control but also reduces stress on internal organs and supports overall long-term health.
⚠️ Important Disclaimer
The blood sugar data and graphs shared in this post are purely personal records and reflections. They are not intended to recommend or guarantee any specific medical treatment, diet therapy, or diagnosis. Blood sugar responses and bodily changes vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently undergoing medical treatment or dietary restrictions, please consult your physician or a registered dietitian before making any changes. The author and this blog assume no liability for any actions taken based on the information provided here.
The blood sugar data and graphs shared in this post are purely personal records and reflections. They are not intended to recommend or guarantee any specific medical treatment, diet therapy, or diagnosis. Blood sugar responses and bodily changes vary greatly from person to person. If you are currently undergoing medical treatment or dietary restrictions, please consult your physician or a registered dietitian before making any changes. The author and this blog assume no liability for any actions taken based on the information provided here.

No comments:
Post a Comment